This website is currently undergoing maintenance. The Publications, Paintings, Wildlife Notebook and Research pages will be back soon! Apologies for any inconvenience.
Free PDF guides to British Beetles can be found here.
I draw and paint wildlife directly from life in the field as I feel this is the only way I can capture the life and vitality of my subjects. I am a keen photographer and specialise in taking photographs of insects. A collection of my wildlife videos can be viewed on Youtube I have written and illustrated several publications, including:
- The Wildlife of Dartmoor
- The Minibeast Guide
- The Rockpool Guide
I sketch in the field using Graffwood 3B pencils and a minimal number of watercolours.
I carry out a range of ecological work and am able to survey invertebrates, birds, mammals and reptiles. I specialise in the identification of ground beetles. Ecological studies of individual species have included various ground beetles, oil beetles and the heath potter wasp. Recent projects include an invertebrate survey of road verges for the Highways Agency, surveying and studying the ecology of the ‘worlds rarest spider’ the Horrid Ground Weaver for Buglife and teaching beetle identification to Plymouth University students.
I have worked as a consultant entomologist and naturalist on many television and radio programmes. These include:
I have been giving talks on wildlife studies for over ten years. These are a combination of field sketches, photographs and video clips. I have thousands of images to choose from so am constantly adding new subjects to my presentations.
Recently I have given talks for the Mid-Devon Natural History Society, Brixham Probus Club and Launceston Camera Club. Subjects include:
- Wildlife of Dartmoor
- Secret world of the undergrowth
- Wildlife of Devon – from shore to moor
- The Heath Potter Wasp
- Mandarins, Admirals and Devils Fingers
I also lead workshops in wildlife art, recently working with primary school children at Horrabridge and Buckfastleigh sketching moths and showing the camouflage of moths in my ‘Spot the Moth’ exhibit.
- 7th November 2019 Deadwood invertebrates and the Ecology of Blue Ground Beetle talk for the Buglife Wales Carnegie Hall Skewen, Neath 10 am
- 8th November 2019 I will be giving a talk on Colour and communication in the natural world at the Wavelength Festival Torre Abbey Torquay in a yurt 7 pm eye-view.org.uk/wavelength-events
- 9th November 2019 I will be participating in a discussion about bird song at the Wavelength Festival Torre Abbey Torquay in a yurt 7 pm eye-view.org.uk/wavelength-events
- 10th November 2019 The Ecology of Blue Ground Beetle talk for the Cornwall Butterfly and Moth Society, Trelusback near Redruth 10.30 am More information at www.cornwallbutterflyandmothsociety.org.uk
- 12th November 2019 Wildlife of Devon talk, for the Brixham U3A, 2 pm Brixham Rugby Club more information u3asites.org.uk/brixham/events
- 13th November 2019 Bratton Clovelly Art Group talk about sketching wildlife in the field Bratton Clovelly Village Hall EX20 4JT 2pm more information here
- 14th November 2019 Wildlife of the Dart Valley Woodlandstalk Buckland-in-the-Moor Village Hall (opposite church) TQ13 7HP 7.30 pm
- 20th November 2019 Wildlife of Devon talk, Evergreens Ipplepen 2 pm
- 21st November 2019 Wildlife of Devon talk, Brixham Mens Probus Group 10 am More information at
- 21st November 2019 House Martins in Devon and wildlife highlights talk Old School Community Centre, South Brent TQ10 9BP 7.30 pm South Brent Birders Group
- 23rd November 2019 I will be giving a talk on the Bees of Devon Slapton Field Study Centre Seminar day. To book see field-studies-council.org/2019/10/21/slapton-research-seminar-2019
- 4th December 2019 Wildlife of Devon talk, East Exe Mens Probus Group Withycombe Raleigh Rugby Club 10 am More information here
- 47 Oaklands Park,
- TQ11 0BP
- United Kingdom
Greetings cards featuring some of my paintings are available for sale. Please contact me to order.
A5 matt laminated, blank inside with white envelope. Five different designs are available for £2.30 each including postage, or as a set of 5 cards for £9 including postage.
- Common Frogs spawning
- Bullfinches feeding in birch
- Long-tailed Tits roosting
- Bumblebees on Lotus
- Long-horned bees on everlasting pea