This website is currently undergoing maintenance. The Publications, Paintings, Wildlife Notebook and Research pages will be back soon! Apologies for any inconvenience.
Free PDF guides to British Beetles can be found here.
I draw and paint wildlife directly from life in the field as I feel this is the only way I can capture the life and vitality of my subjects. I am a keen photographer and specialise in taking photographs of insects. A collection of my wildlife videos can be viewed on Youtube I have written and illustrated several publications, including:
- The Wildlife of Dartmoor
- The Minibeast Guide
- The Rockpool Guide
I sketch in the field using Graffwood 3B pencils and a minimal number of watercolours.
I carry out a range of ecological work and am able to survey invertebrates, birds, mammals and reptiles. I specialise in the identification of ground beetles. Ecological studies of individual species have included various ground beetles, oil beetles and the heath potter wasp. Recent projects include an invertebrate survey of road verges for the Highways Agency, surveying and studying the ecology of the ‘worlds rarest spider’ the Horrid Ground Weaver for Buglife and teaching beetle identification to Plymouth University students.
I have worked as a consultant entomologist and naturalist on many television and radio programmes. These include:
I have been giving talks on wildlife studies for over ten years. These are a combination of field sketches, photographs and video clips. I have thousands of images to choose from so am constantly adding new subjects to my presentations.
Recently I have given talks for the Mid-Devon Natural History Society, Brixham Probus Club and Launceston Camera Club. Subjects include:
- Wildlife of Dartmoor
- Secret world of the undergrowth
- Wildlife of Devon – from shore to moor
- The Heath Potter Wasp
- Mandarins, Admirals and Devils Fingers
I also lead workshops in wildlife art, recently working with primary school children at Horrabridge and Buckfastleigh sketching moths and showing the camouflage of moths in my ‘Spot the Moth’ exhibit.
- 11 May 2019 10 am Nature Sketching Workshop for British Entomological and Natural History Society The Pelham-Clinton Building, Dinton Pastures Country Park, Davis Street, Hurst, Reading, Berkshire, RG10 0T
- 18 May 2019 Forestry Commission Haldon near Exeter, Devon Bioblitz event I will be leading mini beast safaris
- 19 May 2019 11 am - 4.30 pm Yarner Wood near Bovey Tracey Spring Wildlife Festival I will be showing some moths of the wood in a Spot the Moth exhibit
- 1 June 2019 Buckfast Abbey Garden Fayre I will be giving a talk on Wildlife Gardening at 11 am
- 1 June 2019 Devon Wildlife Trust Moor Meadows Group Woodah Farm Teign Valley I will be giving a talk on Reptiles and Amphibians of the meadows pm
- 1 June 2019 Langaford Farm near Chagford I will be giving an evening talk on the Wildlife of Dartmoor
- 15 June 2019 Forestry Commission Cardinham Bodmin Cornwall Bioblitz event I will be leading mini beast safaris
- 17 June 2019 9.30 am Holsworthy CE Primary School Devon EX22 6HD Growing Devon Schools Summer Term Forum Day I will be leading workshops on insect drawing and identification. For more information and booking please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 18 June 2019 10am-12:30pm – Holy Trinity Churchyard, Buckfastleigh, and 1.30–4pm – St Petroc’s, South Brent. On this workshop you’ll spend a relaxed few hours outdoors with John Walters identifying the insects that live in a species-rich grassland habitat. More information here.
- 47 Oaklands Park,
- TQ11 0BP
- United Kingdom
Greetings cards featuring some of my paintings are available for sale. Please contact me to order.
A5 matt laminated, blank inside with white envelope. Five different designs are available for £2.30 each including postage, or as a set of 5 cards for £9 including postage.
- Common Frogs spawning
- Bullfinches feeding in birch
- Long-tailed Tits roosting
- Bumblebees on Lotus
- Long-horned bees on everlasting pea