This website is currently undergoing maintenance. The Publications, Paintings, Wildlife Notebook and Research pages will be back soon! Apologies for any inconvenience.
Free PDF guides to British Beetles can be found here.
I draw and paint wildlife directly from life in the field as I feel this is the only way I can capture the life and vitality of my subjects. I am a keen photographer and specialise in taking photographs of insects. A collection of my wildlife videos can be viewed on YouTube (more videos on my old channel.) I have written and illustrated several publications, including:
- The Wildlife of Dartmoor
- The Minibeast Guide
- The Rockpool Guide
I sketch in the field using Graffwood 3B pencils and a minimal number of watercolours.
I carry out a range of ecological work and am able to survey invertebrates, birds, mammals and reptiles. I specialise in the identification of ground beetles. Ecological studies of individual species have included various ground beetles, oil beetles and the heath potter wasp. Recent projects include an invertebrate survey of road verges for the Highways Agency, surveying and studying the ecology of the ‘worlds rarest spider’ the Horrid Ground Weaver for Buglife and teaching beetle identification to Plymouth University students.
I have worked as a consultant entomologist and naturalist on many television and radio programmes. These include:
I have been giving talks on wildlife studies for over ten years. These are a combination of field sketches, photographs and video clips. I have thousands of images to choose from so am constantly adding new subjects to my presentations.
Recently I have given talks for the Mid-Devon Natural History Society, Brixham Probus Club and Launceston Camera Club. Subjects include:
- Wildlife of Dartmoor
- Secret world of the undergrowth
- Wildlife of Devon – from shore to moor
- The Heath Potter Wasp
- Mandarins, Admirals and Devils Fingers
I also lead workshops in wildlife art, recently working with primary school children at Horrabridge and Buckfastleigh sketching moths and showing the camouflage of moths in my ‘Spot the Moth’ exhibit.
- 2020-02-07 Talk at The Wild Side, Ashburton Town Hall 4-8.30pm
- 2020-02-11 Wildlife Talk for the WI, Buckfastleigh Town Hall 7.30pm
- 2020-02-13 How To Create a Wildlife Garden Talk for BeWild, Buckfastleigh Town Hall 7pm. Free for TQ11 postcode holders, otherwise £2
- 2020-02-14 Secret World of the Undergrowth Talk, Matthews Hall, Topsham 7.30pm. Free for members of the Topsham Birdwatching and Naturalist Society, otherwise £4
- 2020-02-15 Potters on the Heath Talk at the Sussex Biological Recorders Seminar, Oathall Community College, West Sussex 10-4pm, £4
- 2020-03-16 The Secret Life of Long-tailed Tits Talk for Devon Birds, Church House, Abbotskerswell , 7.30-9.30pm
- 2020-03-17 Talk for U3A Totnes, 11am
- 2020-03-17 West Country Wildlife Talk for Mid-Devon Natural History Society St George's Hall, Beck's Square, Tiverton 7.30pm
- 2020-03-20 Wildlife of Dartmoor Talk at Dunsford Village Hall, 7.30pm
- 2020-03-21 Potters on the Heath Talk for Devonshire Association (Entomology Section) at the Kenn Centre, Kennford
- 2020-03-26 Wildlife in a Devon Garden Talk for the North Dartmoor Garden Club at Belstone Village Hall, 7.30pm
- 2020-04-18 Swallow and House Martin Event for BEWild
- 2020-04-25 Nature Sketching workshop for BENHS. 10.30am-4pm Free, but Booking Essential!
- 2020-04-26 Newbridge Wildlife Walk for Devon Wildlife Trust Bovey Tracey. 10am-12pm Booking Essential!
- 2020-05-03 Dawn Chorus Walk for BEWild 4am at Venford Reservoir. Booking Essential!
- 47 Oaklands Park,
- TQ11 0BP
- United Kingdom
Greetings cards featuring some of my paintings are available for sale. Please contact me to order.
A5 matt laminated, blank inside with white envelope. Five different designs are available for £2.30 each including postage, or as a set of 5 cards for £9 including postage.
- Common Frogs spawning
- Bullfinches feeding in birch
- Long-tailed Tits roosting
- Bumblebees on Lotus
- Long-horned bees on everlasting pea